Nominations for the award are made by CEOs of GPCA full member companies in order to ensure a strong pool of qualified candidates and a high quality of nominations. CEOs can put forward up to two candidates provided they meet the official award criteria. Once all nominations are received, GPCA Secretary General, Dr. Abdulwahab Al-Sadoun, in his capacity as a non-voting Award Committee Secretary, will submit the list of Nominees to the Legacy Award Committee for their consideration. The Legacy Award Committee is comprised of five esteemed chemical industry veterans from the GCC region and one international member. A winner will be selected and confirmed by the Award Committee and ratified by the GPCA Board of Directors. Finally, the winner will be recognized at the Award ceremony during the Annual GPCA Forum and inducted as an honored Arabian Gulf Chemical Industry Pioneer.
Nominations for the GPCA Legacy Award “Al Rowad” (الرّواد) are evaluated only based on merit, with the profile of candidates being meticulously assessed against clearly defined criteria. The strict selection procedure meets best industry practice and international standards in line with GPCA’s utmost commitment to transparency, impartiality and inclusion. Merit alone governs the selection of winners for the GPCA Legacy Award, granting them one of the most prestigious lifetime distinctions in the Arabian Gulf chemical industry.
Please ensure that the candidate meets the following eligibility criteria:
- The candidate cannot currently occupy an executive or board chairmanship/membership position at the same company as the person who nominates them.
- The candidate cannot currently serve in a senior position or a ministerial role with a national or regional governmental entity connected with the chemical industry.
- The candidate cannot currently occupy an executive or board chairmanship/ membership position at one or more GCC chemical companies.
To be considered for the award, nominations must meet the following criteria:
- The candidate must have played a pioneering role in building a chemical industry in one or more of the GCC countries.
- Successfully developed and dramatically expanded or transformed the chemical industry or a chemical company in a given Arabian Gulf country or across the GCC, thus contributing to the evolution of the regional chemical industry
- Established or led a state or privately owned GCC based chemical company/ies that became lasting enterprises and a significant economic force by advancing and stimulating the establishment of new downstream and allied industries in the region
- Led a governmental entity in one of the GCC states that acted as a key enabler for the development and sustainable growth of the chemical industry in their respective country
- Successfully restructured or led a GCC chemical company into inorganic growth through M&A/s or forming JV/s in key international markets
- Demonstrated a track record of developing local capabilities within their company. in the form of % of nationalization, building technical and innovation capabilities, % of local workforce at managerial level, contributing to the development of industry relevant vocational institutes, etc.
- The candidate can be of any nationality but must have been in the most senior leadership position within a regional chemical company or a relevant GGC governmental organization, including regulatory bodies and other stakeholders, at the time of realizing the achievements for which they are being recognized
- Nomination shall be accepted of candidates who occupied a senior position with a national or regional governmental entity (e.g. ministry, regulatory body, industrial development agency, etc.) – ONLY at the time of realizing their achievements – and played an instrumental role in the development and the sustainable growth of the chemical industry in a given GCC state.
- The candidate may be deceased or still alive and awarded the GPCA Legacy Award during his/her lifetime as well as posthumously